Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Team Meeting Coolness by Luke

I have to say, there isn't a lot of signs of nervousness among the guys. This morning we had a meeting in the players lounge. Devin was playing to a few of the guys on the grand piano. Something classical. He was telling Leo it was for Elise. I said I knew a girl named Elise from Foxrock, was that her? 'For Elise, by Beethoven', he said. I grinned like I'd been joking. I think he bought it.

My Cuz was sitting listening to his ipod. I could hear it was the soundtrack to 'The Omen.' He loves that. Hates to be disturbed though, when he's listening to it.

I moved on to Rocky, who was sitting in one of the leather backed armchairs by the fire with a glass of brandy, having a read of the property pages of last weeks Irish Times.
"Luke, " he said to me. " Its time to get my feet wet again, I think. How much lower can it go, seriously? How far away is Roscommon, I mean really, how far? At home, it'd be a suburb."
I took the newspaper off him.
"Roscommon is like the outback, Rocky. Only not as hospitable. Remind me again while you're here, and not sunning yourself on Bondi Beach?"
"You're right, you're right " He sighed and nodded, disappointed, picked up the motoring section instead. It was harsh, but it had to be said. I left him to it, giving the newspaper to one of the butlers to destroy.

By the espresso bar, CJ had taken off his shoe and sock, and Felipe was holding a stethoscope to it, nodding all serious like while CJ told him he thought it felt much better.
"Si." He said eventually. " Keep the weight off it and watch out for Quinlan at the weekend."
I caught his eye and he came over to me while CJ tied his lace.
" It make him feel better." He said, looking a little embarrassed. "I tell him I hear the healing."
"Will he be ok for Saturday?"
"Madre de Dios, how should I know?" He asked me "Do I look like a chiropodist?"
He went to get a coffee before I could figure out what to say to that.

Michael Cheika caught my arm then and pulled me away, said he had something important to ask me about. He took me into the atrium.
"Luke, I need your opinion on something." He said. " This is very important so I want you to be totally honest with me."
I knew it. Fullback. Sorry, Rob, but every cloud. I was getting ready to tell him that I was so up for it when he turned around and lifted his jacket.
" What do you think of these jeans ?" he goes. " They're by Desigual. Thinking of getting distribution rights? Not too girlie, are they?"
I stare at his arse.
"No." I said quietly. " I like them. Especially the embroidery."
" Great." He said, making a note in his filo-fax. "Thanks man, I knew I could rely on you. Lets go back in. Alan's about to start."

The Gaffney was standing by a whiteboard. Michael joined him, checked he was ready. Then he tinked on a champagne flute with his pen to get everyone's attention.
"Right guys." He says. " I think we all know we're up against it this Saturday but I'm here to tell you that we've identified a serious weakness we can exploit in their set-up. Alan."
Everyone leaned forward. This was it, the key to finally beating them.
" Three words for you boys. " He turned to the board and started writing. "Target. O. Gara. "

Everyone sat back again.

And sighed.

1 comment:

  1. This is really great! I'm becoming addicted!!!Thank you for this daily dose of laughter. N

    ReplyDelete